- Comparison Table of the Top Baby Gates for Stair
- Reviews of the Top Baby Gates for Stair
Do you have a baby who just learned to crawl or started to walk? Do you live in a multi-story house? If your answers to both questions are ‘YES’ then you must keep reading!
I am sure you want to keep your bundle of joy in safe and secure surroundings at all times. For that, before she even starts to crawl you should consider baby proofing your house. The first step towards your baby’s safety is putting a gates for stairs on top and bottom of your staircase. Whether your child is at the top or bottom of the house, stairs are always dangerous for your child. She can accidentally tumble-down leading to a terrible situation from the top or if she’s downstairs she can always climb up the stairs and fall.
Now that you know how a stair gate can save your baby from any unforeseen accident, let’s talk about the types of gates for stairs are available in the market. Like any other product, you will find different qualities and options to choose from but don’t ever think about compromising on the quality of this gate just for the sake of saving few bucks. You will find 2 types of baby gates for stairs in the market; Hardware mounted gates and pressure mounted gates. Hardware mounted metal gates are more secure than the pressure mounted ones and that’s the reason our experts recommend hardware mount specifically for top of the stairways.
The top of stairs baby gate should be extremely strong to hold the child’s weight with zero risk of tripping over.
That’s why we have created a list of Top Stair Gates of 2017 for you. Our experts have done extensive research and spent hours in testing these baby stair gates for top & bottom of stairs so that your child stays safe and protected .Below is our comprehensive review of the best stair gates shortlisted by the experts & the comparison table of the products to make it easy for you to choose the one that suits you.
Comparison Table of the Top Baby Gates for Stair
Reviews of the Top Baby Gates for Stair
1. Easy Swing & Lock Gate
The Easy Swing & Lock Gate from North States Gates might not be fancy, but it’s sure to keep your child out of trouble. It features a traditional gate-like design with a decorative matte bronze finish that should work fine with your home’s decor. It’s also good to point out that this gate is made of steel so you can expect it to be sturdy enough to contain your child or pet. It’s also good to know that there’s no threshold to step over — no need to worry about tripping hazards and the like.
The gate is also pretty easy to install, just be sure to follow the instructions while you’re at it — it should be a piece of cake! Lest we forget, the Easy Swing & Lock Gate can fit doorways and stairways 28 to 48 inches wide, and that’s great. Moreover, the gate boasts a swinging and self-locking mechanism — you can simply swing the door out of your way and allow it to latch itself from behind. This feature is sure to come in handy when carrying your baby or doing some other chores around the house.
2. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Tall Gate
Summer Infant is the brand that managed to top our list of Best Safety Gates for Stairs. With the experience of 30 years in baby products, this company has managed to make an all-in-one baby safety gate that is sturdy, versatile and easy to use.
This attractive bronze tall metal baby gate is adjustable to fit an opening from 28 to 48 inches wide and stands 36 inches tall. Not only that you can extend its width by attaching two 4.5 inch & one 9 inch extensions, that are included in the box. These extensions allow for more accurate and secure fit. It is mostly used as a Pressure mounted gate; however Hardware mounts are also included that makes it also usable at the top of the stairs.
It’s Auto-Close feature allows you not to worry about closing the door behind you as it closes automatically without any push.
- Good looking metal bronze finish that blends with the home furniture
- Both pressure & hardware mounts are included. It is a highly versatile product, as pressure mounting can be used for passages & doorways, whereas hardware mounting could be used for stairways.
- Banister and wall mounting included
- 36-inch tall that fits openings from 28 to 48 inches. To securely fit a wide space, it includes two 4-1/2 inch extensions & one 9-inch extensions.
- Pressure mount does not leave marks
- The walk through gate closes and locks itself automatically.
- Opens in either direction and can be operated with only one hand
- What’s in the box: Gate, one 9 inch & two 4-1/2 inch extensions, manual, pressure mounting equipment & hardware mounting equipment.
3. Kidco Safeway Top of Stair Gate
The 1st runner-up in our list is Kidco Safeway Stair Gate which is specially designed to be used at the top of the stairway. Kidco is an American company that specializes in safety gates since 1994.
If you are particularly looking for a gate to mount on top of your stairs then you can buy this with your eyes closed. It is an excellent hardware mounted gate for top & bottom of staircase. It has both hardware mounts and banister mounts. It is 30.5-inch tall gate that fits an opening from 24.75 to 43.5 inches. It has adjustable width but extensions are not available. It could be placed on surfaces that are uneven or at odd angles.
This gate is available in a white or black color to blend in with the decor.
It requires just one hand to release the latch to open up the gate, thus no accidental openings. The whole gate swings open and provides more space for passing through with a child. Since this swinging gate is hardware mounted, you will have to drill it into a wall or banister, ensuring maximum protection for your baby. But in case if you are looking for a gate for bannister, then you will need Kidco Stair Gate Installation Kit. This kit can be used with any Kidco or hardware mount gate.
- 5-inch tall gate fits an opening from 24.75 to 43.5 inches. The gate has adjustable width and no extensions are available.
- Hardware Mounts which offers maximum protection at the staircase.
- Quick release equipment makes sure gate to be effortlessly detached when not required
- Directional stop the gate from falling out over the stairs
- The side hardware could be mounted on an angular surface
- 100% Steel construction for added safety.
- Easy one hand operation
4. Regalo Extra Tall Top Of Stairs Gate
Third in your list is a Tall Stair Gate specially designed for top of stairs, from the company well-known for its reliable baby gears, known as Regalo. Unlike the Kidco gate mentioned above, this gate comes with a banister mounting system that makes the installation a piece of cake. Due to this mounting system, this stair gate can be installed without drilling.
You will get a universal kit with the gate that fits almost all the staircases. This kit wraps around the banister and does not require any drilling. It will give you the protection of a hardware mounted gate without damaging your support. Super Convenient!
Thanks to the Simple Glide Technology that helps this gate to expand and fit stairways from 32 to 53 inches.
With this 35-inch-tall gate you don’t have worry anymore about your little climbers. You can easily do other chores without having to look after your little ones at all times.To make it more secure and reliable the simple squeeze latch is there to make it easy for you to operate but very tough for your children to open it
- 35-inch tall and fits an opening from 32-53 inches wide
- Includes banister mounting system
- Very durable and strong steel structure featuring single hand operation
- Fits almost 99 percent of staircases (both top and bottom)
- Features smooth-glide opening system
- No drilling and any markings on banister
- JPMA and ASTM certified
- Includes 90 days warranty
- What’s in the box: Gate, leveler, mounting equipment and manual
5. Regalo Top Of Stairs Expandable Metal Gate
Next up is another gate made by the company Regalo but unlike the previous one this gate has sturdy metal construction and can be easily expanded to fit almost any area.
This wide baby gate also offers banister mounting system which is ideal for openings at the top and bottom of stairs. This child gate for stairs also incorporates Simple Glide Technology that permits the gate to expand and fits stairs from 26” up to 42” wide, not as impressive as the earlier one we discussed.
The height of 30 inches is also not too striking if you compare it with the Regalo Tall gate in our list that stands at 35 inches tall.
The gate easily expands inwards and outwards while passing through.
It offers a universal kit that fits most of the staircase applications. Adapter kit is included and does not require any drilling or marking up your banister or woodwork. The simple squeeze latch is also there that is easy for adults to operate but very tough for children.
- 30-inch tall and fits an opening from 26-42 inches wide
- Banister mount gate, doesn’t involve any grilling or marking
- Extremely easy installation and super-easy to take down
- Comes with a banister kit for banister installation
- Also features optional wall mount kit
- One hand operation to open and close featuring lever style system
- Super durable and strong steel structure
- Fits 99% of the staircases
- Has smooth-glide opening system
- To ensure added security it includes stabilizing foot
- JPMA and ASTM certified
- PVC free
- What’s in the Box: Gate, mounting equipment, optional wall-mount kit, manual
6. Munchkin Luna Gate with LED Light
The Munchkin Luna Gate stands out as one of the safest baby gates. Its features depict a blended design characterized by innovations and class. The Munchkin Luna Gate features the Turnkey Mounting System; this is a recent innovation in the baby gate product. It simplifies the installation of the gate meaning you will not need to bother anyone for help. All you need to do is embed the Turnkey tool you will find in the packaging, and with a twist, it is set. With this gate, you will not have to struggle with adults tripping over the baby gate in the night because it comes with motion detecting led lights. They light up when motion is detected within a distance of 6 ft and remain lit for about 15 seconds. This feature allows you or any other person enough time to walk around the gates.
With all these features you will expect the Munchkin Luna Gate to be quite expensive, but it is worth it. A fully installed Munchkin Luna Gate covers an area of 30 to 40.5 inches; this is very fair if you live in a small house. It is also fitted with door gates that open either way or one way for your convenience and the safety of your child. For example, if it has been installed on the higher floors in your home, you should set the door gates to open one way to prevent the likelihood of your infant opening it from inside, getting out and moving towards the staircase.
The doors are very easy to lock. Simply pushing the doors shut activates the lock mechanism. The Munchkin Luna Gate has a beautiful design that will make your home look even better.
Well, there you have it, the top baby gates for stairs. Always select the hardware mounted gate for the top of the stairs, it’s crucial. Measure each space in your house before you go shopping, just a few minutes of preparation will save you from lots of stress later. Beside the stairs, there are other areas where you need a baby safety gate, to read more about it check out the best baby safety gates.